Saturday, March 23, 2013

SPOTLIGHT Jennifer B. Hudson

Jennifer B. Hudson is a young artist, whom we met at the Photo Lucida Portfolio Review (Portland, Oregon) two years ago. We were immediately struck by her photographs, and particularly her Medic series. We admire their complex construction, the exquisite quality of her printing, the intimacy of scale and the understated, yet overwhelming  narrative.

Untitled 1(extraction) from the Medic series (2010) ©Jennifer B. Hudson

This is an excerpt from her statement about the Medic series:
"Medic is a sensitive, intricate glimpse into human relationships during times of need and recovery and a complex, heartfelt exploration of sacrificial love. The work began wholly on one sentence whispered by my husband while we were enduring deeply frightening times together. He held my hand, lay close to me and said softly "I just wish I could take the pain from your body, and put it into mine."   I have been fortunate to know incredible love all my life, but at that moment I became suddenly and intensely aware of the magnificent power that exists between people who care for one another.  When I was anxious and fighting to fall asleep each night, I began to invent miracle machines; contraptions that heal, deliver hope, legacy, remedy, and redemption. Each image from Medic is a thoughtful invention, strange and tender, revealing facets of the delicate human heart".–Jennifer B. Hudson

Untitled 7(messanger) from the Medic series (2010) ©Jennifer B. Hudson

The complete series of Medic, is available to view online and in-person at the gallery.

Photographs are available as follows:

10" x 10" image on 11" x 11" sheet
Edition of 10 + 2 AP's
Pigment Print on Hahnemühle Bamboo Paper
Prices increase as the editions sell


No comments:

Post a Comment